I've set out to watch every movie on IMDb's Top 250 list, hopefully within a year. As I go along, I also thought to write a small review of each movie.

Currently on #245

Friday, July 9, 2010

Off to a good start!

One down, 249 to go. And my first review I've ever written.

So far the list has a very solid start. Glory is an account of the 54th Massachusetts, the first all-black military unit during the American Civil War and their struggles to be accepted as a legitimate, equal, hard working part of the US Army.
While there were a few low spots in the film, and some acting was a bit sub-par, the film had a big punch. Matthew Broderick (who will always be Ferris Beuller to me) delivered a good performance as the inspirational, young Col. Robert Shaw. Denzel Washington, Andre Braugher and, my favorite actor, Morgan Freeman all did a great job characterizing the wide scope of people in the 54th.

Overall, I would rate Glory with a 7/10. It was a great film and good start to the list and I would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment