I've set out to watch every movie on IMDb's Top 250 list, hopefully within a year. As I go along, I also thought to write a small review of each movie.

Currently on #245

Monday, July 12, 2010

#246 My Neighbor Totoro

Do you like haunted dust? How about giant bunny-owl-ghosts? Incredibly excited kids? Then you will love the family anime film, My Neighbor Totoro.

When Satsuki and her younger sister Mei move to a new house in the countryside, they discover that their house is "haunted" by various spirits from the surrounding area. When Mei follows two small creatures into the woods, she discovers an enormous fuzzy thing named Totoro. As several problems arise around the area, Satsuki and Mei find help from their father, neighbors and some more strange spirits.

This movie was very fun to watch and it does have a good message about friendship and the like but honestly it was nothing special. There were many wtf moments although those just might be from the anime genre quirks. The thing that struck me was how good the background scenes were drawn. Many look like they could be framed and sold as art. However, that does not make it a great movie for me.

Although it was fun to watch and had a good story, I give My Neighbor Totoro a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment